Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Burnt Paper Technique


This is called the Burnt Paper Technique but I like to call it the Vintage look. :)
 This was taught by Ranger Ink and thought I would share because you can use it around your stamps, on tags, any kind of paper.
(Anything in parenthesis is the way I do it otherwise the stuff is Rangers directions so I wanted to give you an option on how you want to proceed.)
I used this paper/stamp but accidentally cut in the side of his poor head.
But I think he'll be okay in the long run.

Steps:
A. Take a white piece of cardstock paper,  in this case a white piece of stamped on cardstock paper.. Begin on one corner and tear all around the edges always tearing in the same direction. 
Obviously I cut the paper too short, poor Bloopy. So this shows that you need to make sure you leave plenty of room.

B. Take a cut square of Cut 'n Dry Foam  and spritz with water. Ink the square with Distress Ink-Antique Linen. Transfer ink onto paper coloring it over the entire surface.
(You don't really have to do the entire surface since you are planning to color the stamp AND I ended up using a makeup sponge and didn't spritz it to color around.
But if you were doing a tag of some sort then you would want to do the whole thing of white paper.

C. Re-spritz square of foam and repeat inking procedure with Vintage Photo and this time color about 1/2'' around the edges.
(I take the distressing pad and go around the edge about 1/2'' instead.)

D. Re-spritz with water and repeat inking procedure with Walnut Stain and this time color about 1/4''  around the edges.
(Again I just use the ink pad alone for this.)

E. Last using pad-direct-to-paper technique, ink the paper lightly around the most outer torn edge with Black Soot.
This digital stamp came from Sweet Stamping Treats.

Now I will show you a picture of a tag I made using the same technique but not using a stamp but you could definitely adhere a digi to it and it would look great!




4 comments:

  1. Beautiful result by using this technique!!

    Hugs from Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the details shown! This is great for the beginner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jamie,

    Thanks for sharing the burnt paper technique. I haven't used tried it yet. Watching your tutorial has given me an idea though. I think I'll play around with it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete