Language Library

Welcome!  Have you ever traveled to a foreign country and didn't have an idea how to speak the basic language?  Frustrating, huh?  Well, if you are new to card making you probably experienced the same feeling.  This is why we have created the Language Library. 

It is here that you will be able to pick up on the latest lingo that will help you navigate through the crafiting world.  We will continue to update these list and if you find that there is something missing, leave a comment and we will be sure to add it.

Basic Terminology/Techniques:

Applique - This technique is sometimes used with cardmaking and is where a smaller item such as an ornament or device is attached to a larger surface.
Card Stock – refers to a sturdy often thick piece of paper used for card making. 
Cardmaking - A hobby in which crafters start out using a blank piece of folded cardstock and add embellishments.  Typically a sentiment, wordart, or illustration is used on the card.
Die Cut - This is a method for cutting or punching out shapes with a metal die.
Decoupage - The art of decorating surfaces with several layers of cut out paper or cardstock.
Embossing – There are a few ways to emboss.  However, typically embossing refers to the process of causing an image or design to rise up from a surface.  In order to wet emboss, you will use ink, powder and a heating gun.  When you dry emboss, you will need an embossing folder and machine.

Embossing folder – A folder that has an image or design etched in it.  When a piece cardstock is placed inside of the folder and ran through a machine the image or design appears on the cardstock.

Embellishments - An embellishment is a craft item that you embellish (decorate) your handmade greeting cards with. Embellishments are any item that is added to the card other than the image, sentiment or wordart.

Eyelets - A metal ring fastener for lining a hole created with a punch or eyelet maker.  Typically crafters will run ribbon or string through the eyelet for decorations.

Paper Piecing – is like putting a puzzle back together.  There are a couple ways to paper piece (basic and digital).  The basic technique requires that an image be stamped on a piece of designer paper and on a piece of blank cardstock.  Cut a section of the image that is stamped on the designer paper and adhere it to the matching section of the cardstock.  A tutorial on how this is done basically and digitally will be available on the blog.

Quilling Paper – Pre-cut narrow strips of thick paper in which is normally available in variable widths with which you then curl tightly and assemble next to one another to make a decorative embellishment such as a butterfly or flower.

Rubber Stamping – is a technique used in scrapbooking and cardmaking to stamp an image on paper.  Different type of inks usually made from dye or pigment is applied to an image carved on rubber or clear acrylic.

Scrapbooking - This is a hobby uses many card making techniques and is basically a photo album or photo journal but each page is usually has its own theme including backing paper, ribbons, embellishments, photos etc.
Tea Bag Folding - Believe it or not but this doesn’t actually involve tea bags. It is a card making technique where you fold paper to create a geometric design. It is also sometimes known as Kaleidoscope folding.
Vellum Paper - This is a clear translucent paper.

Crafting Abbreviations:

ABC = Anything But a Card
ATC = Artist Trading Cards
ATG = Adhesive Transfer "Gun" made by 3M ... check out their website!
Avatar = the photo under the usernames
BFF = Best Friends Forever
BIL = Brother-in-law (etc. with the in-laws = m=motherinlaw, etc.)
BRB = Be Right Back
BST = Buy/Sell/Trade
BTT = Bump To The Top
BTW = By The Way
Bump = sends the thread back to the top of that forum’s list
CAS = Clean & Simple - card style - minimalistic
CASE = Copy and Share Everything
CB - Cbug = Cuttlebug
CE = Crystal Effects
CS = Cardstock
CTMH = Close to My Heart
*DCWV = Die Cuts with a View
DD = Darling Daughter
DH = Darling Husband
DP = Designer Paper
DS = Darling Son
DSP = Double-Sided Paper
EP = Embossing Powder
*GKD = Gina K Designs
HTH = Hope This Helps
IBW = I've Been Wondering
IMHO = In My Honest Opinion
IMO = In My Opinion
ISO = In Search Of
KWIM = Know What I Mean?
LIA = Like It All
LOL = Laugh Out Loud
LSS = Local Scrapbook/Stamping Store
*MFT = My Favorite Things
MIL = Mother-in-Law
MOO = My Opinion Only
NIP = New in Package
NSR = Not Stamping Related
NUM = New Unmounted
OMG = Oh My Gosh .. or .. Oh My Goodness
OP = Original Poster or Original Post
OSW = One Sheet Wonder
PIF = Pay It Forward
PLMK = Please Let Me Know
PP = Printed Paper
PSE = PhotoShop Elements
*PTI = Paper Trey Inks
QOTD = Question of the Day
RAK = Random Acts of Kindness
ROFL = Rolling on the Floor Laughing
SASE = Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope
SCS = Splitcoast Stampers
*SU = Stampin’ Up!
TAC = The Angel Company
TFL = Thanks For Looking
TFS = Thanks For Sharing
TIA = Thanks In Advance
TSM = Thanks So Much
TTYL = Talk To You Later
UTEE = Ultra Thick Embossing Powder
WS = Workshop
WTG= Way to go!

*stamping/cardmaking companies